You’re invited to celebrate the harvest season on Saturday September 23rd and meet Their Excellencies, the Right Honourable David Johnston, Governor General of Canada and his wife, Mrs. Sharon Johnston at ‘Savour Fall at Rideau Hall.’
It’ll be the last time you can meet them, on the grounds of Rideau Hall, before the end of their mandate.
GG David Johnston is an approachable and interesting man. He was the captain of the Harvard University hockey team in 1963. It was during this time that he inspired a character in the book which later became the film ‘Love Story’ starring Ryan O’Neil and Ali McGraw.
The Toronto Star has the whole story where they reported:
“He built (Love Story) around characters that we knew,” Johnston told The Sault Star in an interview after Segal’s death. “We had no idea that he, in fact, was writing his novel while we were living across from him and running with him at 6:30 in the morning along the banks of the Charles River. Life is filled with unusual things.”
All ‘Savour Fall at Rideau Hall‘ activities are for the entire family to enjoy free of charge, and will take place rain or shine. Organizers are hoping that thousands come out for the celebration of the harvest season. It runs from 12:30 – 4pm.
Here are a few highlights:
- Taste culinary delights prepared by the Rideau Hall kitchen brigade and leading chefs from across the region, with the assistance of local culinary students;
- Tour the kitchen garden, the private gardens and greenhouses, and get gardening tips from National Capital Commission horticultural experts;
- Explore the residence’s State rooms and get tips from the Governor General’s hospitality experts on how to receive guests for special occasions;
- Meet with local producers and agricultural groups, and taste samples of their products;
- Participate in fun children’s activities: face painting and crafts; and
- Put on your dancing shoes and enjoy live musical performances.
While GG Johnston has focused hard on influencing Canadians to volunteer, Sharon Johnston has spent her years at Rideau Hall increasing awareness of Mental Health and knows how to open her home to throw a party for thousands of guests!
Earlier today, incoming Governor General, Astronaut Julie Payette met with Queen Elizabeth and brought with her a unique perspective for the Queen, a view of Balmoral Castle from space.
Payette will become the Queen’s official representative in Canada sometime in the next few weeks, once she is briefed by David Johnston and he tosses her the keys to Rideau Hall!