The snowfalls in Vancouver this winter have been so unprecendented that some in goverment are considering a law of making winter tires MANDATORY. It’s also the type of issue that Ottawans should be considering as well.
It’s supposed to be the “Best Coast” (just ask anyone in Vancouver and they will tell you). The temperate year long climate combined with beautiful scenery is supposed to be the offset of residential real estate insanity . But this winter has been different because Vancouver has been battling through one snow storm after another.
Canadians in the rest of the country have always made fun of Vancouverites (lack of) winter driving skills. However, the wet heavy coastal snow and almost ZERO snow removal operations in Vancouver this winter have made for the type of conditions that would bring even seasoned Ottawa winter drivers to their collective knees.
Have a look at some of these photos. A starter home in Vancouver will run you in the millions but don’t expect any snow removal service with that. Brutal.
1. A Maserati stuck in the Vancouver snow this week. Do Italian sports car racing tires provide an abundance of snowy grip? No.
2. Here’s a photo of someone capturing the tissue-sized snowflakes falling. Note the complete absence of snow removal of any sort. Anywhere.
3. A Vancouverite complaining (shocking I know) about the crippling snow
4. Even public transit couldn’t handle the weather or the increase in users. Note the subtle flip of hashtags from #snowfall to #snowFAIL
5. Vancouverites may snicker at the rest of Canada when their tulips start to appear as early as late February but the relentless snowmaggedons plaguing the West Coast have been truly incredible (and quite enjoyable) to watch them endure
WATCH Video: A local plea from police forces across Vancouver urging drivers to stay off the road