After reading this checklist I realize that I am in no way prepared for an emergency. How about you?
The Red Cross suggests these items as a checklist, but you may want to add to it with things like pet food. You can research more ways to be prepared on the Red Cross website.
- Food (non-perishable)
- Manual can opener
- Crank or battery-operated flashlight, with extra batteries
- Battery-operated or crank radio
- Extra keys, for your house and car
- First aid kit
- Cash in small bills
- Special needs items (i.e. medications, infant formula)
- Personal hygiene items
- Important family documents (i.e. copies of birth and marriage certificates, passports, licenses, wills, land deeds and insurance)
- A copy of your emergency plan