What on earth is Radon? And why do I keep hearing about it?
Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas released when uranium in soil and/or rock breaks down. Radon is invisible, odourless and tasteless. Radon does not tend to be a health issue outdoors, as atmospheric mixing dilutes the gas to low concentrations. However, in a confined space – like a basement – radon can accumulate to high levels, which can present a health risk.
When a radioactive gas, like radon, is inhaled, it naturally breaks down into radioactive particles that can be trapped in your lungs when you breathe in. This may cause damage to lung tissue, which can develop into lung cancer over the course of a lifetime.
Good news is, it is reasonably easy and not too, too expensive to have your home tested for this gas.
Contact the Canadian National Radon Proficiency Program at 1-855-722-6777 or info@c-nrpp.